We do require that characters be approved before a person can play. Anyone can read the IC channels at any time. However, to be able to post to these channels one will need to have an approved character. To get a character approve for play you must send a character bio to one of the server's staff. The staff member will read through it and determine if the character fits in with play here. Usually this is a resounding yes. We are pretty liberal. However, on occasion a new player will be asked to make modifications to a character or character concept. We appreciate your cooperation and are happy to help you make these adjustments.
Rules of Character Creation
(v1.62.2 - 5/8/2021)
- Characters must be original characters.
- A character may not be an otherwise professional work.
- Characters can be from the world / universe defined by a professional work as long as they are not in the work.
- Characters from a world / universe defined by a professional work should not be carbon copies of characters in the work.
- All characters must be at least 16 years of age.
- Characters under the age of 16 must be specifically approved by Staff.
- Players wishing to submit characters under the age of 16 must have an exceeding good reason for the characters age.
- The terms of an exceedingly good reason are entirely up to the Staff at the time of the request.
- Characters should not be excessively old (1,000 years, 2,000 years, 200,000 years, etc.)
- There are some reasons for exceptions to this:
- Being involved in a time paradox / time travel.
- Being dormant, hibernating, or otherwise unaware of the passage of time.
- Having some involvement with past lives (is the incarnation of someone important).
- Playing a character who has full memory of 200,000 years of life would be nearly impossible.
- There are some reasons for exceptions to this:
- Characters require approval.
- Characters should have some indication of how powerful they are (see the Leveled Ranking System for details).
- Characters who have abilities over Category 3 will require special approval.
- Special approval must be noted in the character's wiki page with the name of the staff member who gave said permission.
- Character bios containing skills and abilities with Class A or Class B ranking in any category, should have an explanation of how the character obtained that much skill.
- Staff has the authority to ask players to alter their characters (this includes backstory, personality, attributes, as well as power and skill levels).
- Players may play characters but not an entire faction.
- One cannot play the "Northern Alliance" or the "Japanese Fleet".
- Players may have NPC's, but this should be within reason.
- Grandfather policy is in effect.
- Players with characters approved prior to a rule against said characters, are still allowed to play that character.
- All character bios must be submitted to the forum.
- This allows us to easier keep track of them, find them, and get them posted to the wiki.
- Characters should not be designed to specifically be offensive or inflammatory by their nature.
- By this we mean that certain archetypes (such as Nazi) are considered too inflammatory to expect people to, out of character, be ok with playing with said character.
- Similar to how we have rules against having racist or inflammatory names the act of playing such a character without exceptionally good reason is, in and of itself, considered to be akin to trolling.
Banned Character Races and Origins
(v1.24 - 4/2/2019)
- Nazi's (one cannot play a Nazi in game)
- Doctor Who (no Time Lords, Weeping Angels, Cybermen, etc..)
- TV / Movie character clones / copies.
- Captain Kirk was cloned when he was 16 and the clone goes by Tiberius.
- Commander Spock was split in 2 by a vulcan mind meld gone wrong and the new Spock goes by Spock2.
- Starbuck didn't really die, she just ascended and came to the future.
- Luke Skywalker had a secret half brother, Linus Skywalker, he's just as powerful as Luke.
- Edward Cullen's best friend from high school is also a vampire and even better looking.
- So many more...
- Dragon Ball Z characters are banned.
- Video game character clones / copies.
- This includes (but is not limited to) a lot of your fandom-made copies of:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Super Mario Brothers
- Jazz the Jackrabbit
- Commander Keen
- Metal Gear Series
- Battle Toads
- Copies or clones of mythological figures.
- This includes variations on Zeus, Hercules, or any named figure from mythology.
- All Warhammer 30k/40k characters (fantasy is still permitted).
Some Explanation on Banning of Nazi Characters
I do not usually like to get into banning something like a character being a Nazi. However, in this case, the willful act of playing a character who is a Nazi or similar that the player knows will specifically be inflammatory and offensive to others also knows that it will upset, offend, and cause problems for others who want to play. Similar to how we do not allow people to use racial slurs in names or avatars without asking them to change such things because it is considered unreasonable to expect people to not be offended by such given the divisive nature of such things, the willful act of using such imagery and language becomes in and of itself trolling.
As such we regretfully do not allow the play of Nazi's or similarly divisive character types without just cause. Any just cause would have to be discussed with Staff prior to approval.